Menopause symptom relief is key to quality of life for women in midlife.
When I was hit with sudden, full-blown menopause symptoms following a medically necessary full hysterectomy at age 44, I had to figure out some solutions. I was too young to be dealing with these symptoms.
I found a wonderful functional medicine doctor who ran all kinds of tests and helped me realize the natural means to providing menopause symptom relief. Here are the things I have discovered:
Clean up your diet
- Eating organic dark leafy greens every day
- If you're a meat-eater, only buy and consume hormone-free, humanely-raised, organic meats and eggs.
- Give up white foods (sugar, potatoes, refined grains)
- Lean toward small portions of unique whole grains (spelt, millet, amaranth) rather than wheat and rice
- Try quinoa a few times/ week - it's actually a seed not a grain and is high in protein
- Incorporate juicing vegetables a few times each week
Kick the coffee habit
- Caffeine is found to contribute to hot flashes and irritability as well as mood swings. Do yourself a favor and make friends with the herbal tea menu and say adios to coffee.
Step away from the wine and whiskey
- Medical research shows that alcohol consumption messes with our hormones and affects calcium absorption and may contribute to osteoporosis
- Research also indicates that alcohol consumption contributes to hot flashes
Create a sleep-time routine
- Stop eating 3 hours before bed time
- Turn off all electronics one hour before bed
- Create a very dark and cool environment where you sleep
- Wear cool, loose cotton nightgown and invest in some cool, cotton sheets
Saddle up to some supplements
- Seek a functional medicine doctor who can run tests to see where your vitamin and hormone levels are which can then lead to specific recommendations for natural supplements.
- Talk with your doctor about B-vitamin supplements. A lot of times this can help with symptoms depending on where your levels are.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids have been shown to help with symptoms. You can increase your salmon consumption and you can supplement with good clean fish oil sourced from purest, cleanest fish.
- Seek out non-estrogenic herb supplements. You may want to stay away from soy as it's been found to have complications for some women
Learn to relax
- Seek out a gentle yoga class that emphasizes slowing down, breathing and gentle stretches rather than complex poses.
- Learn the simple practice of seated meditation
- Get my free guided meditation to relax sent straight to your inbox by signing up over there to the right